PROPER DISPOSAL OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
Medina County does not currently have any pharmaceutical take-back or collection programs.
Please use these guidelines for proper disposal.
*DO NOT FLUSH PRESCRIPTION DRUGS DOWN THE TOILET OR DRAIN -
unless the label or accompanying patient information specifically instructs you to do so. For information on drugs that should be flushed, visit the FDA's website at www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm
- Check with your local pharmacy to see if they have a take-back program for unused drugs. If they do not then...
- Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers.
- Mix the drugs with an undesirable substance, such as kitty litter or used coffee grounds.
- Put the mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag.
- Conceal or remove any personal information, including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with a black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
- Place the sealed container with the mixture and the empty drug containers in the trash.
(Click the poster to view the full-size pdf file)